I hope you are keeping safe and well.
I am sure it didn’t escape your notice that the prime minister announced the opening of pubs and bars on 4 July as part of the continued easing of lockdown restrictions. This is obviously a hugely welcome step, though the accompanying 43 pages of guidelines have brought us some new challenges in how we do this safely and effectively, and in line with these new requirements.
The good news is, we will be opening on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th July. Our current intention is that, subject to our lovely British weather, this will be outside only, where we can cater for a larger number of people. Our reading of the current guidelines is that in order to maintain the social distancing requirements, even at 1 metre, the main bar and lounge will only be able to accommodate a very limited number of people.
Should the weather on 4th and 5th July be poor (our picnic was washed out last weekend), we will open inside only, with this very limited capacity. In this case, once that capacity is reached, you may be asked to queue, outside, in much the same way as we have got used to at supermarkets.
Should it be busy outside and we get a heavy shower, there will not be capacity inside for everyone, and staff will need to ask people to enter in an orderly fashion to allow for social distancing to be maintained and numbers to be controlled. This may involve queuing in the rain, so please come prepared. Once capacity is reached it will then be “1 out, 1 in”.
Either inside or out, there will be new ways that we need to operate at the club:
- Please do not come to the club if you are feeling unwell or have any of the symptoms of COVID-19
- Members and their households only – each group must have a member who will be required to show their membership card when ordering drinks.
- Each group must contain no more than 2 households or a maximum of 6 people in total – drinks rounds will be limited to a maximum of 1 drink per person.
- On arrival members will be asked to list each person in their group for track and trace purposes, and this data will be held by the club for 21 days as required
- Outside service will be at an ordering/collection station at the foot of the stairs, where payment will be taken. The drinks order will be delivered to this station to be picked up.
- Inside the club, people will order and pay at a screened part of the bar, then return to their seat. Drinks will be delivered to a collection point to be picked up.
- Please do not approach the bar other than to order/pay, and if service should be a little slow on occasion, your patience would be greatly appreciated.
- Card payments only, contactless payment preferred
- No standing is allowed inside (though it is allowed outside with social distancing observed)
- If attending outside, please consider bringing your own chairs etc. as seating provided at the club is limited.
- We are not permitted to broadcast sport as yet.
- There will be no catering or pizzas available to begin with (though crisps and bar snacks should be available).
- A one-way system and socially distanced queuing will be in place for toilet facilities. Hand sanitiser will be available but please bring your personal supply if you can.
- For the time being we are intending to open Saturday and Sunday 2pm -10pm and Thursday and Friday evenings from 5pm-10pm, and closed from Mon-Weds.
- Please visit the club website for day-to-day variations of these times as affected by the weather.
These guidelines are subject to change and clarification from government, as well as our own practical adjustments as we learn from our operational activities, so please bear with us during the early phases of reopening, and check the website before you come.
Please continue to stay safe. It’ll be a bit different, but we’re nearly there.